Some curiosities about Cachopo
The parish of Cachopo has around 20 000 hectares and is made of 53 hills. It was founded in 1758. The inhabitants have grown till 1970 when it reached a turning point that has been impossible to solve till this day.
The cinema arrived for the first time in 1938 through Propaganda Nacional and a van, the movie was projected in a storehouse.
The telephone has arrived to the parish in 1953, year of the installation of the first public phone box.
The road connection between Cachopo and Tavira is known as “the Centenary” because it’s construction has begun in 1882 by the command of Marquês de Pombal but it was only completed more than a century later.The first bus service in the parish happened in the 40’s of the last century and the electricity has arrived only in the 80’s.
For more information about Cachopo and about life in the mountains do not forget to visit the Museum Nucleus of Cachopo, located in the former home of For more information about Cachopo and about life in the mountains do not forget to visit the Museum Nucleus Cachopo, located in the former home of roadmenders.